In 1922 this light was discontinued, and the keeper's house was offered to anyone who could move it off the island. A buyer hired a crew and a barge to move the building, but as they moved it downhill on the island, a rope snapped and the structure fell into the ocean. The brick lighthouse tower stood by itself until 1927, when it was destroyed. The island is now a bird sanctuary.
Characteristic and Range: Originally fixed white, later flashing red, changed back to white later.
Description of Tower: 1856: Lantern on roof of 1 1/2-story stone keeper's dwelling, 21 feet high, focal plane 86 feet. 1897: Square brick tower attached to 1 1/2-story wood frame dwelling, tower 32 feet high, focal plane 90 feet.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1856
Date Deactivated: 1922
Date Automated: 1919
Current Use: Destroyed.
Egg Rock can be seen from Lynn Beach and Nahant Beach, but there are no structures left from the light station.
Keepers: George B. Taylor (1856-1861); Thomas Widger (1861-1871); Henry N. Richardson (1871-1874); Charles Hooper (1874-1883); George Wadleigh (1883-1884); Charles Dunham (1884-1889); George L. Lyon (1889-1911); Malcom N. Huse (1911-?); Andrew S. Nickerson (?); James Yates (?)