The first lighthouse on the spot was built in 1873. It was replaced in 1879 by a small one-room house with a light on its gable and a fog bell on the roof. The lighthouse station was often damaged by ice. A new dwelling was built, but the new structure was plagued by leaks and by 1938 the ceiling was caving in. The building was torn down in 1939 and replaced by a steel skeleton tower.
Height of Focal Plane: 35
Description of Tower: 1879: One-room house with lantern on roof.
This light is not operational
1873: Hexagonal tower attached to the keeper's house.
Date Established: 1873
Date Deactivated: 1938
Optics: Sixth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: Fog bell.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Keepers: Dennis Shea (1873-1874); William Dunnell (1874-1875); Thomas Smith (1876-1881); Andrew Smith (1881-1891); James D. Leonard (1891-1905); George Hansen (1905-?); Lucius Chadwick (?-1908); Edward Jansen (July 1 to October 1, 1908); John F. Anderson (Oct. 1, 1908 to April 1, 1909); William Tengren (1909-?); Otis Barstow (c. 1920)