The original (1774) lighthouse here was built by John Smeaton. It was rebuilt in 1805 in the same location. The 1805 lighthouse was dismantled and shipped to Ceylon in 1869. The original stone pier where the first two lighthouses stood is now gone; the present lighthouse is located at what was the beginning of the pier.
Description of Tower: Conical brick tower.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1774
Date Present Tower Built: 1883
Current Use: Historic monument.