Coastal Safety and Salvage Administration
This lighthouse was built by the French in 1856. During construction, the tower collapsed three times. The old men of the village told the French, "There is a tomb under the tower, and the tower is falling down because of this." So the French engineers built a tomb structure (now a museum), and then built the tower. (Thanks to Alper Camsari for this information.)
Tower Height: 98
Height of Focal Plane: 190
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 6 seconds.
Description of Tower: White stone hexagonal tower.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1856
Date Present Tower Built: 1856
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
There is a museum (tomb) downstairs from the tower.