Loxahatchee River Historical Museum
Contact Address Information:
805 North US Highway One
This lighthouse was designed by Lt. George Meade, who later was the general in command of the Union forces at the Battle of Gettysburg. A restoration of the lighthouse began in 1999 and was completed in April 2000. Hurricane Jeanne did some damage to the tower in 2004; repairs were completed in late 2005.
Tower Height: 105
Height of Focal Plane: 146
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 30 seconds; range 25 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Red, conical brick tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
Date Established: 1860
Date Present Tower Built: 1860
Date Automated: 1987
Optics: 1860: First order Fresnel lens (still in use).
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
The Loxahatchee River Historical Museum is located in Jupiter Lighthouse Park. The museum includes a Seminole Living History Village and other temporary and permanent exhibits on the state's history. The museum is open all year, Tuesdays through Fridays, 10 am to 5 pm. The lighthouse tower is open to the public Sundays through Wednesdays, 10 am to 4 pm. Children must be at least 48 inches tall to climb the tower. A nominal donation is requested for the lighthouse tour. N. Hunt reports in July 2002: "The cost to tour this lighthouse is $5, and the visitor must go with a tour group. The groups are kept fairly small 12-15, and the volunteer guides are knowledgeable and pleasant. The tour pace is unhurried." NOTE: As of late July 2004, lighthouse tours have been stopped because of problems with the stairs. Donations are needed for repairs; call 561-747-6639 for information.
From I-95, exit Indiantown Rd. East, then turn left/north at US Highway 1. Turn right/east at Beach Rd. Turn right into Lighthouse Park. Free admission and parking.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Thomas Twiner (1860-?), Joseph F. Papy, August Oswald Lang (under Confederacy), James Paine (under Confederacy), William B. Davis, James Armour (1868-c. 1908), Joseph H. Moss, Joseph A. Wells, Thomas Knight, Charles Seabrook, Edmond Louis Arruda (Coast Guard, 1947-1948)