Friends of the Yarmouth Light Society
The Coast Guard decided in 1961 that the original Yarmouth Light must be replaced; area residents were surprised when the new tower turned out to be a radically different, slender tower, sometimes referred to as "apple core" shaped. The Friends of the Yarmouth Light Society runs a museum and gift shop in the keeper's house. In June 2000 the light station was officially transferred from the Canadian Coast Guard to the Municipality of Yarmouth.
Tower Height: 77
Height of Focal Plane: 114
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 12 seconds, visible for 13 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Round, concrete tower with vertical red and white stripes.
This light is operational
1912 keeper's house, fog signal building.
1840: Octagonal wooden tower.
Date Established: 1840
Date Present Tower Built: 1962
Date Automated: 1993
Optics: 1840: Second order Fresnel lens (now on display at Yarmouth County Museum); now modern plastic lens.
Fog Signal: Now dual electronic automated horns.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Yes
The former keeper's house is now a museum, craft shop and snack bar. There is a picnic area and
parking for visitors. The museum is open May 21 - October 31, 9 am to 9 pm daily. Admission is free; donations are welcomed.
In Yarmouth, follow Starrs Road to Main Street. Turn left at the Horse Monument onto Vancouver Street. Watch for the Yarmouth Light sign and turn left on Route 304 south. Drive to Yarmouth Bar (11 km) and continue to Cape Forchu.
Keepers: Lawrence Wentzell (1977-1988); Walter Goodwin (1986-1991); Vincent Murphy (1989-1993); Marjorie Fairservice (1992-1993).