The first lighthouse here was destroyed by fire in 1876. Following the inauguration of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959, the second lighthouse was replaced in 1962 by a white, steel skeleton tower. The Department of Transport wanted to demolish the old lighthouse, but two neighboring landowners obtained a 10-year lease on the plot of land on which it was located and cared for the building. Later, the lighthouse was allowed to deteriorate; the lantern and gallery were damaged by a violent storm in 1995 and are now missing. The town of Rivière Beaudette is investigating the possibility of restoring the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 30
Height of Focal Plane: 36
Characteristic and Range: Fixed white; range 10 miles.
Description of Tower: White, square, pyramidal wooden tower.
This light is not operational
1847: 24-foot square wooden tower.
Date Established: 1847
Date Present Tower Built: 1877
Date Deactivated: 1960s?
Current Use: Abandoned.
Open To Public? No.
The lighthouse is surrounded by private properties and cannot be publicly accessed by land.