City of Port St. Joe
The lighthouse was moved due to erosion in 1918, and two keeper's dwellings have been moved in recent years for the same reasons. Gulf County has leased the light station from the Air Force. In 2012, the light station was added to the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List of Endangered Lighthouses. Erosion is threatening the lighthouse. In 2012 the National Park Service approved the application for ownership of the lighthouse to the City of Port St Joe, which expects to move the structures to an area now called Bayside Park. In August 2014 the lighthouse and keepers' houses were moved.
Tower Height: 90
Height of Focal Plane: 101
Description of Tower: White, pyramidal cast iron skeletal type tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is not operational
1848 tower destroyed in storm; 1859: 96-foot tower lost to erosion in 1882.
Date Established: 1848
Date Present Tower Built: 1885
Date Deactivated: 1996
Date Automated: 1981
Optics: 1859: Third order Frenel lens; 1906: Third order bivalve Fresnel lens (still in place).
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Cape San Blas Light can be reached near county road 30E, about five miles west of Indian Pass. The station is not open to the public.
Keepers: Francis Arran [Ander ?] (1848-?), Rufus Ballard (c. 1850), Joseph Ridlin (1855-?), John Price (1859-1861), Joseph Lewcraft [Lucroft ?] (1866-?), William M. Quinn (c. 1894). Other keepers (dates unknown): James Weatherspoon, Braddock Williams, Merril Hussey, William H. Parker, William G. Cox, Henry Humphries, Demetrius J. Murat, Thomas Gordon, Benjamin Curry, William D. Archer, Charles Lupton, Walter Andrew Roberts, William J. Knickermeyer, J. R. Linton, Englisbee K. Peyton, J. Y. Gresham.