City of Sanibel
Contact Address Information:
800 Dunlop Rd.
Sanibel city employees live in the keeper's houses and maintain the property.
Tower Height: 102
Height of Focal Plane: 98
Description of Tower: Brown, square pyramidal skeleton tower with central cylinder.
This light is operational
1884 one-story keeper's house, second keeper's house, oil house. cistern.
Date Established: 1884
Date Present Tower Built: 1884
Date Automated: 1949
Optics: 1884: Third order Fresnel lens; now 300mm optic.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Take Route 867 and the Sanibel Causeway to Sanibel Island. Turn left on Periwinkle Way, follow for about 4.8 miles and look for signs for the lighthouse.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Dudley Richardson (1884-1892); Henry Shanahan [Shannahan?] (1888-1913, died in service); Eugene Shanahan (1913-?), William Robert England, Jr. (Coast Guard, 1946-1949).