Contact Address Information:
5 Lake Road Extension
Jim Walker and others purchased the lighthouse compound in 1987. They officially activated a Coast Guard-approved lamp, putting the lighthouse back on the charts as a Class II navigation aid. Funds from the rental of the keeper's quarters help pay for the continuing restoration and preservation of the lighthouse. The lighthouse was sold again in 2014.
Tower Height: 32
Height of Focal Plane: 49
Description of Tower: Octagonal wooden tower with birdcage-style lantern on roof of stone keeper's house.
This light is operational
1838 integral 2 1/2 story fieldstone keeper's house.
Date Established: 1838
Date Present Tower Built: 1838
Date Deactivated: 1859-1989
Optics: 1838: Eight lamps and 14
Current Use: Overnight accommodations, private aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes (accommodations).
From the Seaway Trail (Route 3), follow Lake Road to the end and the lighthouse. The lighthouse is privately owned and is not open unless you have reservations to stay there, but it can be seen from the road.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Lewis Conant (1838-1849); Lucius B. Cole (1849-1854); Charles M. Lewis (1854-1857); A. H. Weed (1857-c. 1890, died in service);
Nearby Lodging: The lighthouse is available for rental to the public by the day, week or month. It can be rented for 6-8 people from April to mid-December. Check the Selkirk Lighthouse website for available dates and reservations.