Buffalo Lighthouse Association
Contact Address Information:
U.S. Coast Guard Base
1 Fuhrmann Boulevard
This lighthouse is leased by the Coast Guard to the Buffalo Lighthouse Association. Since 1985 they have raised and spent nearly $200,000 on the preservation of the lighthouse. The City of Buffalo has added a shoreline promenade near the lighthouse. In 1996 the 4th order lens from the South Buffalo Lighthouse was installed in the lighthouse and it was relighted for the first international Friendship Festival in 1987. The 4th order lens was removed in 2013 to be replaced by a new 3rd order Fresnel lens replica made by Spinella Artworks.
Tower Height: 61
Height of Focal Plane: 76
Description of Tower: Unpainted, octagonal pyramidal limestone tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1818
Date Present Tower Built: 1833
Date Deactivated: 1914
Optics: 1857: Third order Fresnel lens; 1905: new third order Fresnel lens (moved to the Buffalo Outer Breakwater light in 1914 - now exhibited at the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Museum). Now fourth order Fresnel lens.
Fog Signal: Originally fog bell.
Current Use: Attraction on Coast Guard base.
Open To Public? Special occasions only.
The tower is open on occasion for special events. It is on a Coast Guard station; follow Fuhrmann Boulevard to the station. It can also be seen from the nearby Naval and Serviceman's Park in downtown Buffalo. It can also be viewed from cruises on the Miss Buffalo in summer; call 716-856-6696.