U.S. Coast Guard
The lighthouse is surrounded by the Jack and Laura Dangermond Nature Preserve, which was formerly a private sprawling ranch. Currently the lighthouse is off limits to the general public. In 2016 the 1st order Fresnel lens was removed from the lantern and placed on display at the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum in Santa Barbara, California. Currently the lighthouse is not being cared for and is falling into a state of disrepair.
Tower Height: 52
Height of Focal Plane: 133
Description of Tower: Stucco/wood/brick cylindrical tower attached to oil house. White with black lantern.
This light is operational
1911 Spanish style one story brick/stucco keeper's house; 1907 oil house; generator building (1960s).
Date Established: 1856
Date Present Tower Built: 1882
Date Automated: 1973
Optics: 1856: First order Fresnel lens. The active light is now produced by a modern optic mounted on the lantern gallery.
Fog Signal: Automatic fog horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Inaccessible to public.
Keepers: George Parkinson (1856); James B Meacham (1856-1857); John Scollan (1857-1861); Robert W Smith (1861-1868); Thomas L. Perry (1872-1895); Harley Weeks (1895-1913); Jerome W. Sweet (2nd assistant, 1903); C.F. Allen (1915-1930); Richard H George (1930-1940); Larry Desy (1972-1973)