Sea Girt Lighthouse Citizens Committee, Inc.
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 83
Ocean Ave & Beacon Boulevard
The light was removed from the lantern in this lighthouse in 1945 and was mounted on the top of the lantern. In the mid-1950s the light was moved to a nearby skeleton tower. In 1956 the Sea Girt Lighthouse was sold to the Borough of Sea Girt for $11,000. For over 20 years the building was used for civic activities.The building gradually fell into disrepair. Concerned citizens rallied to save historic building, and in 1981 the Sea Girt Lighthouse Citizens Committee was formed and signed a lease for the building. The lighthouse has been fully restored and relighted as a private aid to navigation and is now open to the public.
Tower Height: 44
Height of Focal Plane: 60
Description of Tower: Square brick tower with black cast iron tower, integral to keeper's house.
This light is operational
Integral 2.5 story brick Victorian keepre's house.
Date Established: 1896
Date Present Tower Built: 1896
Date Deactivated: c.1955-1983
Optics: 1896: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Private aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Yes
The restored lighthouse includes a small of museum of historic artifacts. The lighthouse is open on Sunday afternoons, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., June to November. Admission is free; donations are welcomed.
If northbound on the Garden State Parkway, take Exit 88 to NJ Route 70 North. Follow Route 70 to NJ Route 35, head southeast on Route 35, then north on NJ Route 71 to Sea Girt. Go right on Beacon Boulevard to the lighthouse. If southbound on the Garden State Parkway, take Exit 98 to NJ Route 138 East. Follow onto Route 35, then turn south on NJ 71 to Sea Girt. Turn left onto Beacon Boulevard to the lighthouse.
Keepers: ? Wolfe (1896-1903); Abram Yates (1903-1910); John W. Hawkey (1910-1917); William H. Lake (1917-1931); George Thomas (1931-1941).