Search ||  A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z 

Name: Barnegat Light  

Feedback to the database manager

Also known as: Old Barney

Also known as: Grand Old Champion of the Tides

Nearest Town or City:
Barnegat Light, New Jersey, United States

Location: North end of Long Beach Island, entrance to Barnegat Inlet.


Click to enlarge: Photo    Large photo
Photo: Kenneth Kochel
Related Photos

Managing Organization:
Barnegat Lighthouse State Park

Telephone: 609-494-2016

Website: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/barnlig.html

Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 167
Barnegat Light
New Jersey, 08006, United States

Notes:
The present Barnegat Lighthouse was designed by Lieut. George G. Meade. It is one of the tallest lighthouses in the U.S. A $666,000 restoration of the lighthouse was completed in 1991.

Tower Height: 172

Height of Focal Plane: 165

Description of Tower: Conical brick tower; red on upper part, white on lower part.

This light is not operational

Earlier Towers?
1835: 50-foot tower, destroyed in 1856 storm.

Date Established: 1835

Date Present Tower Built: 1857

Date Deactivated: 1944

Optics: 1857: First order Fresnel lens.

Current Use: Museum

Open To Public? Yes

Museum?
The lighthouse is open daily throughout the summer and on weekends in the spring and fall. The lighthouse also is open for certain evenings during the summer. The Barnegat Light Historical Society Museum is located in a 1903 one-room schoolhouse. It houses historical exhibits on the area as well as Barnegat Light's first order Fresnel lens. The musuem is open daily in July and August from 2 to 4 p.m. In June and September the museum is open weekends only from 2 to 4 p.m. Admission is free; donations are welcomed.

Directions:
Barnegat Lighthouse State Park is at the northern tip of Long Beach Island in Ocean County. The park can be reached by taking the Garden State Parkway to Exit 63. From Route 72 east. Turn left onto Long Beach Boulevard and then left onto Broadway. The park entrance is on the right.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Keepers: Harry Spencer (1909-1910)

Featured
Products

Subscribe
to Lighthouse Digest


USLHS Marker Fund


Lighthouse Jewelry


Lighthouse Service Sweatshirt













Subscribe   Contact Us   About Us   Copyright Foghorn Publishing, 1994- 2017 Lighthouse Facts       Lighthouse History