Fort Pulaski National Monument
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 30757
Fort Pulaski was the scene of major fighting during the Civil War; the lighthouse was in the line of fire but was not damaged. In 1958 the lighthouse was transferred from the United States Coast Guard to the National Park Service. The National Park Service restored the tower in 1978 and again did restoration work in the spring of 2000, but the lighthouse is endangered by high water.
Tower Height: 46
Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1849
Date Present Tower Built: 1857
Date Deactivated: 1909
Optics: 1857: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: part of National Park.
Open To Public? no
Fort Pulaski National Monument is open Memorial Day to Labor Day, 8:30 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. Other times of the year it is open until 5:15 p.m. CLosed January 1 and December 25. The Visitor Center is open daily 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The lighthouse can be seen from the top of the fort.
The lighthouse is accessible only by boat, but it can be seen clearly from Fort Pulaski. To visit Fort Pulaski National Monument: Follow U.S. Route 80 East toward Tybee Island. The entrance is located about fifteen miles east of Savannah. There is also a view of the lighthouse just east of the Lazaretto Creek Bridge off Route 80. After crossing the bridge turn left onto a dirt road and follow a short distance to the boat docks.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Cornelius Mather (1851-1853, died in service); Mary Mather (1853-?); Patrick Eagan (c. 1871)