Marblehead Lighthouse State Park
Contact Address Information:
c/o Lake Erie Islands State Park
4049 E. Moores Dock Road
This is the oldest continuously operational lighthouse on the Great Lakes. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources has maintained this lighthouse since 1972. Ownership was transferred from the Coast Guard in May 1998. The Coast Guard continues to operate and maintain the active beacon. The tower was renovated in 2001-2002 for $500,000.
Tower Height: 65
Height of Focal Plane: 67
Characteristic and Range: Green flash every six seconds, visible for 11 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Conical white limestone tower with red trim and red lantern.
This light is operational
1880 two-story wood frame keeper's house, barn, outhouse.
Date Established: 1821
Date Present Tower Built: 1821
Date Automated: 1958
Optics: 1858: Third order Fresnel lens (now on display in the keeper's house); now modern plastic optic.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, attraction in state park.
Open To Public? Yes
The keeper's dwelling is used as a museum by the Ottawa County Historical Society.
From Ohio Route 2, take Ohio Route 52 to Route 163 East to the lighthouse. Tours of the lighthouse are offered, with the assistance of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, on summer weekdays and some Saturdays from June to Labor Day. There are picnic grounds and public restrooms at the lighthouse. NOTE: The lighthouse will be closed for tours in September 2001 and remain closed until the restoration project is complete next spring. The one exception is the annual Marblehead Lighthouse Festival Day on Oct. 13.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Benajah Wolcott (1821-1832, died in service); Rachel Wolcott (1832-?).