Point San Luis Lighthouse Keepers
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 13556
San Luis Obispo
The lighthouse is on the Diablo Nuclear Power Plant reservation. The lighthouse was discontinued in 1975 and replaced by a nearby automatic light. The Point San Luis Lighthouse Keepers are working to restore the buildings as an educational facility. The property is owned by the Port San Luis Harbor District. Phone: (805) 595-5400.
Tower Height: 40
Height of Focal Plane: 116
Description of Tower: White wood frame square tower attached to keeper's house.
This light is not operational
1890 wood frame two-story Victorian keeper's house, 1890 wood frame fog signal building, oil house, two cisterns, privy, shop, two c. 1960 keeper's houses.
Date Established: 1890
Date Present Tower Built: 1890
Date Deactivated: 1975
Optics: 1890: Fourth order Fresnel lens, now on display at San Luis Obispo County Historical Museum, 696 Monterey, San Luis Obispo, CA 93406, phone (805) 543-0638.
Fog Signal: Automatic horn.
Current Use: Under restoration.
Open To Public? Guided tours only.
Sierra Club Kayak Tours offers tours to the lighthouse once a month. Call (805) 929-3647 for dates and times. There are also docent-led hikes to the station; call the San Luis Obispo Conservancy at (805) 541-8735 for details. There are half-day tours with a 3.5 mile hike, or all-day tours with a 7.4 mile hike. The lighthouse can be seen from whale watch cruises leaving Avalar. The Point San Luis Lighthouse Keepers are restoring the buildings and there are plans to open the station as a museum when restoration is complete.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places