Pointe Aux Barques Lighthouse Society
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 97
This lighthouse is now located in a county park; camping is available in the park. Legend has it that a friendly female ghost haunts the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 89
Height of Focal Plane: 93
Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower; lantern has red cupola.
This light is operational
1908 attached 1.5 story brick keeper's house, oil house, carriage house, assistant keeper's house.
1848: stone tower.
Date Established: 1848
Date Present Tower Built: 1857
Optics: 1857: Third order Fresnel lens (now at Huron City Museum in Huron City, MI under loan from the Coast Guard); now DCB-224.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Museum and grounds only.
The lighthouse is home to two museums: the Thumb Underwater Bottomland Preserve Museum, and the Lighthouse Historical Museum. The lighthouse is open weekends and holidays only, from 12 to 4 p.m.
This lighthouse is located in Lighthouse County Park, located on Lighthouse Road off M-25.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places