Port Austin Reef Light Association
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 546
This lighthouse was scheduled to be demolished in 1984. It was saved through the efforts of Louis Schillinger of Port Austin, who obtained a five-year license to restore the structure. The Port Austin Reef Light Association was formed in 1988. In 2012, ownership was given to the association under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act.
Tower Height: 60
Height of Focal Plane: 76
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 6 seconds.
Description of Tower: Square brick tower on octagonal foundation.
This light is operational
1899 fog signal building, attached to tower.
Date Established: 1878, originall a wooden tower
Date Present Tower Built: 1899
Date Automated: 1953
Optics: 1899: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 300 mm.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
This lighthouse is accessible by boat only. Some area charter companies might be able to offer a view of the lighthouse.
Keepers: See www.terrypepper.com/lights/huron/portaustin/keepers.htm for a listing of all Port Austin Reef Light keepers compiled by Phyllis L. Tag of Great Lakes Lighthouse Research.