Saginaw River Marine Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 2051
The Saginaw River Range Lights are believed to have been the first range lights in the U.S. The idea of placing two lights that would be lined up by mariners as they followed a channel was originated by the 15-year old son of the keeper. This lighthouse was purchased by the Dow Chemical Company in 1989. The Saginaw River Marine Historical Society is now restoring the lighthouse, with funding from Dow Chemical Company. Pennies from local school children, totalling $462, have also helped fund the restoration. The long range goal is to establish a museum in the keeper's house.
Tower Height: 61
Description of Tower: Square pyramidal brick tower.
This light is not operational
1876 two-story brick keeper's dwelling.
Date Established: 1841
Date Present Tower Built: 1876
Date Deactivated: c. 1962
Current Use: Under restoration.
Open To Public? No.
The SRMHS is seeking historical information, old newspaper stories, photographs of keepers and family members, and recorded memories of life at the Saginaw River Rear Range Lighthouse and the no longer existing Saginaw River Front Range Lighthouse (the assistant keeper's dwelling still stands and is now a private residence near where the Front Range Light was located), plus the original Saginaw Bay Lighthouse (built in 1841 and demolished in 1876) that could be used in a museum which is planned for inside the restored lighthouse. Please contact Rob by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This lighthouse is on private property and is inaccessible to the public, although it may be viewed by boat.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Julia Tobey Brawn Way (1873-1877; first assistant 1877-1882)