Bureau des Phares et Balises
Ancient documents suggest that a light tower, known as the "feu des Castillans," was built around 1360 on a spit of land that extended before the cape. That first beacon had disappeared by the time the two towers of the 1775 lighthouse were built. The south light was powered by electricity in 1863, the first in France; the north light received electricity two years later. The south light was discontinued in 1893. Both towers were destroyed by Allied artillery in 1944 during attacks leading to the liberation of Le Havre.
Tower Height: 105
Height of Focal Plane: 404
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 5 seconds, visible for 24 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, octagonal concrete tower with a red lantern; concrete, one-story building attached.
This light is operational
1775: Two square stone towers, each 66 feet tall, about 320 feet apart.
Date Established: 1775
Date Present Tower Built: 1951
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.