The original tower here had a regular navigational light (fixed white), established in 1852; a tidal light - red on the incoming tide, green on the ebb - that became active in 1887; and a signal light (red when the channel was obstructed) shown toward the harbor from a window in the tower (1902).
Height of Focal Plane: 36
Characteristic and Range: Red flash every 3 seconds, visible for 11 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White and reddish brown square building at the end of the pier.
This light is operational
1852: Red brick tower, 20 feet tall, focal plane height of 30 feet.
Date Established: 1852
Date Present Tower Built: 1955
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!