Manitoulin Tourism Association
This lighthouse was replaced by a nearby automatic light in 1970, but the active light was moved back into the lighthouse in 2003. It is now part of Mississagi Lighthouse Heritage Park and is operated as a museum and restaurant, with an adjacent campground.
Tower Height: 38
Height of Focal Plane: 47
Characteristic and Range: White light, 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off; range 13 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White, wooden pyramidal tower with red trim and red lantern.
This light is operational
Integral keeper's house and fog signal building.
Date Established: 1873
Date Present Tower Built: 1873
Date Deactivated: 1970-2003
Fog Signal: 1881: compressed air fog horn; 1908: Diaphone horn.
Current Use: Active seasonal aid to navigation, museum, restaurant.
Open To Public? Yes.
There is a maritime museum in the keeper's house, open from May to September. There is a restaurant in the fog signal building.
Take Mississagi Lighthouse Road off Highway 540 to the lighthouse.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: John Miller (1873-1876); William Cullis (1877-1901); J.H. Ball (1902-1913); W.A. Grant (1913-1946); D.N. (Joe) Sullivan (1946-1970).
Nearby Lodging: There is a campground near the lighthouse. For campground reservations, email email@example.com or call 705-282-8503.