Canadian Coast Guard
In the mid-19th century it was decided that a barrel would be placed with a lantern placed on top to guide the boats into the channel -- hence the name "Pointe au Baril" which translates as "Point of the Barrel." The current lighthouse replaced the barrel in 1889. This light serves as a front range light; a skeletal tower on Macklin Island, about 0.9 mile ESE, serves as the rear range light.
Height of Focal Plane: 43
Characteristic and Range: Fixed red.
Description of Tower: White, wooden, square pyramidal tower with red trim and red lantern, attached to keeper's dwelling.
This light is operational
Attached keeper's dwelling, oil house.
Date Established: 1889
Date Present Tower Built: 1889
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Occasional tours only.
The Pointe au Baril Lighthouse is open to the public for tours during the summer from Thursdays through Mondays, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., June 8 through Labour Day Take Highway 69 north of Parry Sound to Pointe au Baril.
Keepers: Emmaline Madigan