The old lighthouse, located on the other side of the Danube, completely burned down in 1980, apparently as a result of arson. Several sources indicate that the current tower is 57 meters tall (187 feet) and that its maximum visible range is about 31 nautical miles. An organization, the Anonimul Foundation (Fundatia Anonimul), is planning to build a replica of the original lighthouse, to serve as a museum.
Tower Height: 164
Height of Focal Plane: 157
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 7.2 seconds, visible for 19 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Concrete tower with alternating white and dark grey sides. The two grey sides are full triangles, one upright, the other inverted.
This light is operational
1865: Square wooden tower, 64 feet tall.
Date Established: 1865
Date Present Tower Built: 1967
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only?
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!