Friends of Point Betsie Lighthouse
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 601
This was the last lighthouse on Lake Michigan to be automated. The buildings were abandoned in 1996 and soon fell into a state of disrepair. The light station was transferred to Benzie County and the Friends of Point Betsie Lighthouse in June 2004, who are restoring the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 37
Height of Focal Plane: 52
Characteristic and Range: White flash every 10 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, cylindrical brick tower; white lantern with red roof.
This light is operational
1894 attached two-story keeper's house, steel fog signal building, oil house, two storage buildings.
Date Established: 1858
Date Present Tower Built: 1858
Date Automated: 1984
Optics: 1858: Fourth order Fresnel lens (removed 1996); now modern optic.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
This lighthouse is located at the end of Point Betsie Road, off M-22 in Frankfort. It is open to the public on Saturdays and Sundays, Memorial Day through Columbus Day. (The tower may not be open pending restoration.)
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: See www.terrypepper.com/lights/michigan/betsie/keepers.htm for a list of keepers.