City of Grand Haven
This lighthouse's companion, the outer light, is at the end of the same pier. The two lighthouses function as range lights for vessels entering Grand Haven Harbor. The lighthouse was transferred from the Coast Guard to the City of Grand Haven on December 11, 2012. The light in the tower is still maintained by the Coast Guard.
Tower Height: 51
Height of Focal Plane: 52
Characteristic and Range: Red light, occulting every 4 seconds.
Description of Tower: Red, conical cast iron tower.
This light is operational
1881: 60-foot tower.
Date Established: 1881
Date Present Tower Built: 1907
Date Automated: 1969
Optics: Fourth order Fresnel lens (now on display at the Tri-Cities Historical Museum in Grand Haven, Michigan), now 250 mm optic.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
From US Route 31, exit at Franklin Street and follow South Harbor Drive to the pier.
Keepers: See www.terrypepper.com/lights/michigan/grandhavenpier/keepers.htm for a list of the keepers of this lighthouse.