U.S. Bureau of Land Management
The Coast Guard station and lighthouse keeper's house on Plum Island were abandoned when the Coast Guard left the island in the early 1990s. In October 2007 Plum and Pilot Islands were merged into the Green Bay National Wildlife Refuge and control was given to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Then under the leadership of Tim Sweet the Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands to work through the government bureaucracy to attempt to restore and save the lighthouse. In 2010 the group restore the boat house. In 2017 a roof was placed on the keeper’s duplex. To follow their progress go to https://www.facebook.com/plumandpilot.org/
Tower Height: 65
Height of Focal Plane: 80
Description of Tower: White, square pyramidal iron skeletal tower.
This light is operational
Two story brick keeper's house.
Date Established: 1897
Date Present Tower Built: 1897
Optics: 1897: Fourth order Fresnel lens, still in use.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
This lighthouse can be seen from the Washington Island Ferry from Northport. Call 800-223-2094 or email email@example.com for more information. It can also be viewed from lighthouse cruises offered by Shoreline Charters - see www.theshorelineresort.com or call (920) 854-2606 for details.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places