U.S. Coast Guard
This was the last staffed lighthouse on the Great Lakes. There is a memorial marker for assitant keeper Minnie Cochems near the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 37
Height of Focal Plane: 61
Characteristic and Range: White light; 3 seconds on, 3 seconds off.
Description of Tower: White, square brick tower atatched to keeper's dwelling.
This light is operational
Intergral 1.5 story brick keeper's house; fog bell tower.
Date Established: 1883
Date Present Tower Built: 1883
Date Automated: 1983
Optics: 1883: Fifth order Fresnel lens; 1892: Fourth order Fresnel lens (removed in 2002 and replaced by modern optic, now at Door County Maritime Museum)
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, Coast Guard housing.
Open To Public? During Door County Lighthouse Walk in May only.
This light station is usually not open to the public; it is sometimes open during the Door County Lighthouse Walk in May. Call (920) 743-5958 for information.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Henry Stanley (1883-1895, died in service); William Cochems (assistant, ?-1895, then keeper 1895-1933); Minnie Hesh Cochems (assistant, 1898-1928, died in service); Michael Norocki (?); Patrick Quick (Coast Guard, 1969-1972); Henry Gugler (Coast Guard Officer in Charge, 1970-1972); Steve Wozniac (Coast Guard, c. 1970); Jim Werba (Coast Guard, c. 1970); Rodney “Clark” Goldthrop, USCG, OIC, 1972-1973.