Sand Point Lighthouse
Contact Address Information:
Delta County Historical Society
16 Water Plant Road, Sand Point, Ludington Park
An 1886 fire at this lighthouse killed the keeper, Mary Terry. The building has ben restored by the Delta County Historical Society and is now open as a museum. The present lantern is the discarded
lantern from Poverty Island Light; the original was removed when the light was discontinued. A fourth order lens originally used in the 1927 Menominee Pier Light is now in use in the lighthouse.
Tower Height: 41
Height of Focal Plane: 44
Description of Tower: White, square brick tower attached to keeper's dwelling.
This light is operational
Integral 1.5 story brick keeper's dwelling.
Date Established: 1868
Date Present Tower Built: 1868
Date Deactivated: 1939-1989
Optics: 1868: Fourth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Museum
Open To Public? Yes.
The Sand Point Lighthouse Museum is open from June 1 - Sept. 1 (9 to 5) and during the month of September (1 to 4).
From US Route 2 and US Route 41 go east on Ludington Street and follow for about 1.7 miles to the lighthouse.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Mary Terry (?-1886, died in service).