Gulliver Historical Society
Contact Address Information:
672N West Gulliver Lk. Rd.
This lighthouse is located at the only harbor of refuge in the area; its name means "only choice." The lighthouse is now operated by the Gulliver Historical Society in cooperation with the Department of Natural Resources.
Tower Height: 78
Height of Focal Plane: 80
Description of Tower: White, conical brick tower attached to keeper's house.
This light is operational
1892 two-story brick keeper's house, brick fog signal building, two oil houses, barn, workshop, second assistant keeper's house, garage, two outhouses.
Date Established: 1892
Date Present Tower Built: 1895
Date Automated: 1972
Optics: 1895: Third order Fresnel lens; now DCB-24.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, museum.
Open To Public? Yes.
The keeper's dwelling now houses a museum and gift shop; the collection includes a well-preserved dugout canoe. Rooms have been restored to look as they would have appeared in the 1900-1930 period. Museum Hours (including tower tours) are Memorial Day through mid-September 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week (depending upon availability of volunteer tour guides). Off-season hours may vary. Private group tours upon request.
From the junction of US Route 2 and County Road 432 in Gulliver, go south on CR-432 (Point Inland Road) about 4 miles to County Road 431. Turn right (west) at CR-431, a gravel road, and go approximately 4 miles to the lighthouse.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: R. Rosie (c. 1941).
Nearby Lodging: Aloray Motel, Rt 2, Box 2565, Thompson, MI 49854. Phone: 906-341-2479. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org This motel is 5 miles from Manistique, on the edge of the Hiawatha National Forest.