Bureau des Phares et Balises
The small island is dominated by a castle originally built as a fortress in the 16th century, later converted to a prison made famous by Alexandre Dumas in his novel "The Count of Monte Cristo." The original lighthouse was destroyed in 1944.
Tower Height: 56
Height of Focal Plane: 89
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 6 seconds; range 11 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White round stone tower on a square base. red lantern.
This light is operational
1863: Round stone tower, 31 feet tall.
Date Established: 1863
Date Present Tower Built: 1948
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!