A tower similar to the Stiff Lighthouse was built on the largest of the Ïle des Ebihens under the orders of Vauban, Louis XIV's chief military engineer, around 1694. It served for a few years as a lighthouse maintained by local fishermen, but the light was considered too low, and a major new lighthouse was established in 1702 on Cap Fréhel, about 9 miles west. The Tour des Ebihens (also called Tour de Vauban) was later used as a watchtower but now appears to be abandoned.
Description of Tower: Structure made up of two attached circular stone towers, approximately 55 feet tall.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1694
Date Present Tower Built: 1694
Date Deactivated: 1702?
Current Use: Abandoned?
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!