An unconfirmed report from 1834 claims that a fire tower was built on the cape sometime after 1650, but very little is known about this early light. The first official lighthouse, built in 1701-02 on the orders of Marshal Vauban, Louis XIV's chief military engineer, consisted of two joined round towers, one enclosing a circular staircase to the top and the other divided into three floors for storage, the guard room and the keeper's accommodations. The overall structure was similar in appearance to the Stiff Lighthouse on Ïle d'Ouessant. The light was moved in 1847 to a taller tower nearby. After the 1847 lighthouse was destroyed by German troops during World War II, a temporary light was installed on the 1702 tower at the end of the war. It remained active until 1950, when the current lighthouse became operational. The 1702 tower is now a cultural monument and a tourist attraction, but visitors are no longer allowed to climb it.
Tower Height: 108
Height of Focal Plane: 279
Characteristic and Range: Two white flashes every 10 seconds, visible for 29 miles.
Description of Tower: Square stone tower, topped by a small circular tower holding a dark green lantern; attached to a U-shaped stone building.
This light is operational
1702: Circular stone tower on Cap Fréhel, 49 feet tall (still standing). 1847: Octagonal stone tower, 72 feet tall, attached to a two-story white dwelling (destroyed in August 1944).
Date Established: 1650
Date Present Tower Built: 1946-50
Fog Signal: Horn (about 1300 feet NNE): Two blasts every 60 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!