Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
Contact Address Information:
Route 1, Box 4
This lighthouse was actually built in the wrong location and wasn't used until about 12 years after it was built. In 1929 it was replaced by a new lighthouse that was moved from the Delaware River in Pennsylvania.
Description of Tower: White, conical stone tower.
This light is not operational
1.5 story stone keeper's house, 1928 assistant keeper's house, 1928 power house, barn, privy, 1928 workshop.
Date Established: 1869
Date Present Tower Built: 1857
Date Deactivated: 1929
Optics: 1869: 3 1/2 order Fresnel lens, now on display at visitor center in Bayfield.
Current Use: Attraction in National Lakeshore.
Volunteer lighthouse keepers provide free visitor access to this lighthouse. Visitors must make arrangements for transportation to the islands. Mid-June to early September, daily 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. & 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Boat trips leave Bayfield daily from late May to mid-October. The Apostle Islands Cruise Service offers a variety of trips, providing views of the islands as well as close looks at lighthouses. Schedules and fare information can be obtained from the visitor center in Bayfield. The Cruise Service also operates a water taxi service between Bayfield and any island for up to six passengers per trip. They also offer special lighthouse cruises. Rates and information can be obtained from the Cruise Service -- call (715) 779-3925 or (800) 323-7619, or email email@example.com, or see their website at www.apostleisland.com. The Apostle Islands Lighthouse Celebration is held each fall and features three weeks of special lighthouse cruises and lighthouse tours. Call (800) 779-4487 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
Keepers: Robert Carlson (c. 1930s).