Saybrook Breakwater Light appears on a Connecticut license plate as a symbol of the effort to preserve Long Island Sound. In 2015 in a government on-line auction the lighthouse was sold to Frank J. Sciame, Jr.
Tower Height: 49
Height of Focal Plane: 58
Characteristic and Range: Flashing green every six seconds.
This light is operational
Keeper's quarters integral to tower.
Date Established: 1886 (6/15/1886)
Date Present Tower Built: 1886
Date Automated: 1959
Optics: 1886: Fifth order Fresnel lens; 1939: Fourth order Fresnel lens; 1988: 300 mm
Fog Signal: 1891: Fog bell with striking machinery; 1939: Air diaphragm horn; now automatic electric horn with one blast every 30 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
Saybrook Breakwater Light can be seen from points on CT 154 in Old Saybrook, but is best viewed from the water. This and other area lighthouses can be seen from lighthouse cruises offered by Capt. John's Sport Fishing Center in Waterford. Call (860) 443-7259 or see www.sunbeamfleet.com for details. Connecticut River Tours offers two daily 55-minute narrated tours, and one 2-hour narrated tour during the peak months of summer; see www.connecticutrivertours.com. Connecticut River Expeditions also offers views; see www.ctriverexpeditions.org or call (860) 662-0577.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Frank W. Parmele (1886-1890); John G. Skipworth (1890-1896); George W. Fife (1896-1897); Robert S. Bishop (1897-1898); Nathaniel Dodge (1898); Thomas Bunker (1898-1899); John Dahlman (1899-1907); Herbert S. Knowles (1907-1911); Simon Sfvorinich (1911-1918); Joseph F. Woods (c. 1918); J. A. Davis (1918-1920); Paul G. Peterson (1920-?); Andrew A. McLintock (1932-1935); Sidney Gross (c.1938); S.L. Bennett (assistant, c. 1938); Thomas A. Buckridge (1942-1944); George E. Sheffield (both Lynde Point and breakwater lights, ?); Laureat LeClere (both Lynde Point and breakwater lights, 1954-1970)