Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
Contact Address Information:
Route 1, Box 4
This is the westernmost lighthouse in the Apostle Islands. It is under the care of the National Park Service.
Tower Height: 40
Height of Focal Plane: 52
Description of Tower: Octagonal brownstone tower attached to keeper's house.
This light is operational
1881 1.5 story brownstone keeper's house, oil house, outhouse.
Date Established: 1881
Date Present Tower Built: 1881
Date Deactivated: 1933-1980
Date Automated: 1921
Optics: 1881: Fourth order Fresnel lens, now DCB-24.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, attraction in national park.
Volunteer keepers offer guided tours in summer; call (715) 779-3398 for information.
Boat trips leave Bayfield daily from late May to mid-October. The Apostle Islands Cruise Service offers a variety of trips, providing views of the islands as well as close looks at lighthouses. Schedules and fare information can be obtained from the visitor center in Bayfield. The Cruise Service also operates a water taxi service between Bayfield and any island for up to six passengers per trip. They also offer special lighthouse cruises. Rates and information can be obtained from the Cruise Service -- call (715) 779-3925 or (800) 323-7619, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or see their website at www.apostleisland.com. The Apostle Islands Lighthouse Celebration is held each fall and features three weeks of special lighthouse cruises and lighthouse tours. Call (800) 779-4487 or email email@example.com for information.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Charles Lederle (1881-1891), Emmanuel Luick (1892-1921).