Keepers of Patos Light
Contact Address Information:
PO Box 334
"Patos" is Spanish for "ducks." The island was named by the Spanish in 1792. This station was originally established as a fog signal station in 1898. It is now within Patos Island State Park. The Bureau of Land Management recently took over the island and has plans to restore and open the station to visitors.
Tower Height: 35
Height of Focal Plane: 52
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 6 seconds.
Description of Tower: White, square wooden tower on fog signal building.
This light is operational
1898 integral fog signal building, keeper's dwelling (not original).
Date Established: 1893
Date Present Tower Built: 1908
Date Automated: 1974
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The lighthouse and island are accessible only by boat. Charters are available from both Orcas Island and San Juan Island.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Nearby Lodging: For information about camping on Patos Island, call (800) 233-0321. Individuals with a TDD phone may use the Telecommunications Device for the Deaf at (360) 664-3133.