Bureau des Phares et Balises
This lighthouse is on Île aux Moines, one of a group of islands (Sept Îles = Seven Islands) located about 3 miles NW of Ploumanac'h. The entire group is a bird sanctuary, and only Ïle aux Moines is open to the public. The 1854 lighthouse (including the original 1835 tower) was destroyed by German troops in August 1944. The current lighthouse, built between 1949 and 1952, has one of the most powerful lights on the North Brittany coast. As of late 2006, it is one of a diminishing number of staffed lighthouses remaining in France.
Tower Height: 65
Height of Focal Plane: 194
Characteristic and Range: Three white flashes every 15 seconds; range 24 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Half-elliptical stone tower (straight walls on three sides, round wall on the fourth side), attached to a two-story stone house; black lantern.
This light is operational
1835: Round stone tower with a conical roof, 36 feet tall. 1854: White square tower, 49 feet tall, attached to the 1835 tower, which was then used for oil storage, with two rooms for the keepers.
Date Established: 1835
Date Present Tower Built: 1952
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Yes.
Boat excursions to Île aux Moines are available from Perros-Guirec, Ploumanac'h, Trébeurden, Trégastel, and Port Blanc.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!