Point Lookout State Park
The Maryland Department of Natural Resources bought the light station from the Navy in May 2002. The exterior has been restored, and the Point Lookout Lighthouse Preservation Society (PLLPS), Inc. has been formed to restore the buildings to the 1927 time period and to educate the public on the history of the light station. See www.pllps.org to learn more. Also see www.ptlookoutlighthouse.com for additional information.
Tower Height: 36
Height of Focal Plane: 41
Description of Tower: Red, octagonal iron tower and lantern on roof of dwelling.
This light is not operational
Integral 2.5 story wood frame and brick keeper's house.
Date Established: 1830
Date Present Tower Built: 1883
Date Deactivated: 1965
Optics: 18??: Fourth order Fresnel lens (removed).
Fog Signal: A bell tower, bell and striking mechanism are now at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels.
Current Use: Attraction at state park.
Open To Public? Once yearly.
Follow Maryland State Route 5 to Point Lookout State Park. Continue on for two miles to the lighthouse at the end of the road. The lighthouse is open to the public on the first Saturday of every month (April - November) from 10:00 to 2:00.
Keepers: James Davis (1830, died in service), Ann Davis (1830-1847), William Wood (1848-1849), William P. Baxter (1849-1853), Richard D. Edwards (1853), Samuel Cullison (1853), Martha A. Edwards (1853-1855), Pamelia Edwards (1855-1869), William Moody (1869-1871), William Yeatman (1871-1908), Percy S. Yeatman (1908), William Moody (1908-1912), Thomas Jackson (1912-1917), George Willis (1917-1939), Westly Fulcher (1939-1954), Herman Metevier (assistant? 1939-1954), Marvin Fulcher (1954-1955), Wallace Sturgis (1955-1956), George Gatton (1956-1965), Raymond Hartzel (1965-1966)