Twice in the 1990s the Coast Guard planned to deactivate the light because of a problem with the surrounding trees obscuring it from the water, but public complaints led to it remaining active. The lighthouse and the keeper's house and other buildings are owned by Acadia National Park. The house has fallen into disrepair. The area is now being cared for by keepers of Bakers Island. FMI go to www.keepersofbaker.org
Tower Height: 43
Height of Focal Plane: 105
Characteristic and Range: Flashing white every 10 seconds, visible for 10 nautical miles, lighted 24 hours a day.
Description of Tower: White cylindrical brick tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1855 Cape Cod style wood dwelling, 1895 brick oil house, 1905 shingled fuel house, two storage buildings.
1828: wood tower.
Date Established: 1828
Date Present Tower Built: 1855
Date Automated: 1966
Optics: 1855: Fourth order Fresnel lens; now 300 mm, solar powered.
Fog Signal: Originally fog bell.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The Bar Harbor Whale Watch Company (email email@example.com, web site www.barharborwhales.com, phone 207-288-9800 or 1-888-533-WALE) offers a tour of Baker Island with an Acadia National Park naturalist. Trip time: 4 1/2 hours. The company also offers an "Historic Lighthouse Tour" that passes the lighthouses at Egg Rock, Bear Island, Baker Island, Winter Harbor, and Great Duck Island.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: William Gilley (1828-1848); John Rich (1849-1853); Joseph Bunker (1853-1860); John Bunker (1860-1861); Freeman G. Young (1861-1867); Alden H. Jordan (1867-1883); Roscoe G. Lopaus (1883-1888); Howard P. Robbins (1888-1902); George Connors (c. 1902-1912); Vurney L. King (c. 1912 - ?); Joseph Muise (?-c.1936); F. Faulkingham (c. 1935); Wayne Edson Holcomb (U.S. Coast Guard, 1944-1945); Ernest Mathie (c. 1950); (Eugene?) Coleman (c. 1950); ? Clements (c. 1953)