U.S. Army Aberdeen Proving Ground
Peaches grown on this island were once considered a delicacy. This lighthouse cannot be visited by general public because the island was used for bombing practice for many years. There are many unexploded bombs and shells on the island. The tower was restored in 1997.
Tower Height: 40
Description of Tower: Conical stone tower.
This light is not operational
Date Established: 1825
Date Present Tower Built: 1825
Date Deactivated: 1939
Date Automated: 1917
Optics: ?: Fourth order Fresnel lens (removed).
Current Use: Part of Army facility.
Open To Public? No.
Pooles Island is off limits to the public. The Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society may offer occasional cruises passing the island and lighthouse. For information write to Chesapeake Chapter, USLHS, TRIP INFORMATION, P.O. Box 1270, Annandale, VA 22003-1270, or visit their website at www.cheslights.org
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: William Reed (?-1843), Ezekiel Morrison (1843-?); Capt. Stephen Andrew Cohee (1882-1917)