U.S. Coast Guard
This lighthouse marks the far northwestern corner of the continental United States.
Tower Height: 65
Height of Focal Plane: 165
Description of Tower: White, conical sandstone and brick tower.
This light is operational
1858 1.5 story sandstone keeper's house, fog signal building, two storage buildings.
Date Established: 1857
Date Present Tower Built: 1857
Date Automated: 1977
Optics: 1857: First order Fresnel lens, now VRB-25 optic.
Fog Signal: Originally diaphone horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
This lighthouse is accessible by boat only, but it can be seen from the Cape Flattery Trail on the tip of the Olympic Peninsula on the Makah reservation, at the end of State Route 112. This trail requires moderate exertion to descend and climb its slopes and stairs. Hikers are rquired to purchase an annual recreation permit from the tribe. For information on the Makah reservation and trail, visit www.makah.com/cape.htm
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Keepers: Franklin Tucker (1857), Francis James (c. 1857-?), James Woodman (assistant, c. 1857), Alex Sampson (1879-1893), Henry Ayers (assistant,1885-?), John M. Cowen (1900-c. 1920s); Jeffery Tarnow (?-1977; wife Susan Tarnow, son Kristopher Tarnow)