University of New Orleans
When this lighthouse was built it was more than 2,000 feet offshore, but landfill projects have left it on dry land.
Height of Focal Plane: 42
Description of Tower: Brick hourglass-shaped tower (was raised by seven feet in 1880)
This light is not operational
1832: Privately built structure -- square lantern hoisted to a height of 50 feet between two supports; 1838: 28-foot octagonal wooden lighthouse.
Date Established: 1832
Date Present Tower Built: 1855
Date Deactivated: 1929
Optics: 1857: Fifth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Attraction on university property.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The lighthouse is at Pontchartrain Beach off Lakeshore Drive in Milneburg. NOTE: The building immediately east of the lighthouse is a federal facility. Visitors are permitted to photograph the lighthouse but must not point their cameras toward the federal facility.
Keepers: Benjamin J. Shane (1839-?), Charles Fagot (c. 1860s, was keeper during Civil War), David Power (?-1882), Ellen Wilson (1882-1896), Margaret R. Norvell (1896-1924), Minnie E. Coteron (1924-1929)