Town of Swans Island
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 11
There were originally range lights built in 1872; the present tower was the rear range light. The front range light was discontinued in 1884. In 1975 the light was moved to a skeleton tower; after complaints the lighthouse was relighted.
Tower Height: 32
Height of Focal Plane: 75
Characteristic and Range: Alternating four seconds white and four seconds darkness.
Description of Tower: Square white brick tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1872 1.5 story L-shaped Cape Cod style keeper's house, 1911 trapezoidal wood fog bell tower, 1895 brick oil house.
Date Established: 1872
Date Present Tower Built: 1872
Date Automated: 1975
Optics: 1872: Fourth order Fresnel lens; 1975: 250 mm.
Fog Signal: 1911: Fog bell; later fog horn.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
Swans Island is accessible via a year round passenger/car ferry from Bass Harbor. Call (207) 244-3254 for information. There are as many as six trips daily. A map showing the lighthouse location is available from the ticket office in Bass Harbor.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Roscoe Chandler (c. 1935); John Kittila (c. 1950)