Cape Lookout National Seashore
Contact Address Information:
131 Charles Street
During the Civil War the original 1812 Cape Lookout Lighthouse was destroyed and the third order Fresnel lens on the new one was destroyed. The keeper's house now serves as a visitor center.
Tower Height: 169
Height of Focal Plane: 156
Description of Tower: Conical brick tower with black and white diamond pattern.
This light is operational
1873 two-story brick keeper's house, brick oil house, coal shed, summer kitchen, stable.
1812: Brick tower.
Date Established: 1812
Date Present Tower Built: 1859
Date Automated: 1950
Optics: 1859: Third order Fresnel lens, 1864: First order Fresnel lens (now in Block Island Southeast Lighthouse), now DCB-24.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
The Visitor Center located in the lighthouse keeper's house is open from April to November (hours vary). There are no entrance fees. The Cape Lookout Lighthouse is closed to public entry.
For information on ferry services to Cape Lookout call the Park Visitor Center at 252-728-2250, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: James Fulford (1812-1828), William Fulford (1828-1854), John R. Royal (1854-1863), Gayer Chadwick (1863-1864), John R. Royal (1864-1869), Manson W. Mason (1869-1876), M. J. Mason (1876-1878), W. F. Hatsel (1878-1888), Denard Rumley (1888-1893), T. G. Davis (1893-1900), J. Wilson Gillikin (1900-1903), Alfred B. Hooper (1903-1909), Charles W. Clifton (1909-?). First Assistant Keepers: S. Blunt, (1859-1864), J.R. Guthrie (1864), W.H. Guthrie (1864-1865), Joseph Royal (1865-1869), Josephus Willis (1869-1870), B. P. Davis (1870-1874), W.P. Fulcher (1874-1876), M.T. Lewis (1876-1877), Joseph Willis (1877-1878), Denard Rumley (1878-1883), J.B. Noe (1883-1886), T.L. Davis (1886-1893), Otway B. Davis (1893-1901), James S. Davis (1901-1909), V.L. Watson (1909-1912), J. M. Burrus (1912-?)