York Parks and Recreation
Contact Address Information:
186 York Street
Under the Maine Lights Program this lighthouse became the property of the Town of York in 1998. The "Nubble" Light is one of the most photographed lighthouses in New England.
Tower Height: 41
Height of Focal Plane: 88
Characteristic and Range: Six seconds red alternating with 6 seconds darkness, visible for 13 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: White cylindrical cast iron tower with brick lining and black cast iron lantern, attached to keeper's house by walkway.
This light is operational
1879 Victorian two story wood keeper's house, 1902 oil house, c. 1930s storage building, 1978 boathouse.
Date Established: 1879
Date Present Tower Built: 1879
Date Automated: 1987
Optics: 1879: Fourth order Fresnel lens; 1928: Fourth order Fresnel lens (still in use).
Fog Signal: 1879: Bell on lighthouse; 1880: Framework bell tower and striking mechanism; 1890: 2,035 pound bell, striking apparatus; 1911: Pyramidal bell tower and 3,000 pound bell; 1969: diaphragm fog horn. Now automated horn with one blast every 10 seconds.
Current Use: Active aid to navigation.
Open To Public? No.
An excellent view of Cape Neddick Light is available from Sohier Park in York. From I-95, take Exit 1 east (The Yorks, the Berwicks) to Route 1. Turn right on Route 1 for .3 mile to Route 1A at a traffic light. Turn left on Route 1A and continue .9 mile. Bear right on 1A to the end of Long Sands Beach. Turn right on Nubble Road and drive 1.1 miles to Sohier Park and free parking. There is a gift shop at the park. There are also public restrooms.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: Leander White (1879 - was reassigned before lighthouse was established); Simon Leighton (1879 - resigned due to illness before lighthouse was established); Nathaniel Otterson (1879-1885); Brackett Lewis (1885-1904); William M. Brooks (1904-1912); James Burke (1912-1919); William Richardson (1919-1921); Fairfield Moore (1921-1928); Edmund Howe (1928-1930); Truman J. Lathrop (1930); Eugene Coleman (1930-194?) ;