Town of Camden
Contact Address Information:
P.O. Box 1207
The island was called Negro Island until 1934. The name was changed to Curtis Island after Cyrus H. K. Curtis, a benefactor of Camden. Under the Maine Lights Program the town of Camden assumed ownership of the lighthouse in 1997; the Coast Guard still maintains the optic. The island is a public park (boat access only); caretakers live on the island and maintain the light station. The fourth order Fresnel lens from the lighthouse is now on display at the Camden Opera House.
Tower Height: 25
Height of Focal Plane: 52
Characteristic and Range: Occulting green, four seconds (four seconds of green followed by one second of darkness), visible for 7 nautical miles.
Description of Tower: Cylindrical white brick tower with black cast iron lantern.
This light is operational
1889 1.5 story wood keeper's house, 1889 barn, 1895 oil house, 1889 boathouse.
1835: Brick tower.
Date Established: 1835
Date Present Tower Built: 1896
Date Automated: 1972
Optics: 1896: Fourth order Fresnel lens; 1994: 300mm, solar powered. The original Fresnel lens is now at the Camden Public Library.
Fog Signal: Fog bell (now offshore buoy).
Current Use: Active aid to navigation, town park.
Open To Public? Grounds only.
From US Route 1 in Camden, turn right on Bayview Street. After a few blocks the lighthouse can be seen between houses on your left. Continue north on Route 1 to the Camden Hills State Park and drive or hike to the top of Mount Battie for a spectacular view of Camden Harbor, including Curtis Island. The lighthouse is best seen from cruises leaving Camden, including special lighthouse cruises on board the Lively Lady Too. See www3.sympatico.ca/lively.lady/ There are many other cruises leaving Camden Harbor; contact the Camden-Rockport-Lincolnville Chamber of Commerce at (207) 236-4404 for current information.
Mapquest URL: Click here to get a map to this lighthouse!
Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places
Keepers: M. K. M. Bowers (1836-1841); Ephraim S. Fly (1841-1845); Obadiah (Obediah) Brown (1845-1849 and 1855-1857); William Prince (1849-1853); Ebenezer M. Carelton (1853-1855); Andrew M. Annis (1857-1861); Isaiah Barbour (1861-1872 and 1873); Josuha Bramhall (1872-1873 and 1873-1879); Fred D. Aldus (1879-1882); Henry Wiley (1882-1896); Howard M. Gilley (1896-1909); Aldiverd A. Norton (1909-1919); Elmer Reed (1919-1938); Myrick Morrison (1938-1950); BM2 Carroll A. Hallowell (1950); Benjamin C. Stockbridge (1950-1951); Albert F. Osgood (1951-1959); Martin Jordan (Coast Guard lookout during WWII, 1942-43); Gordon Bruce (Coast Guard lookout during WWII); Joe Ash (Coast Guard lookout during WWII); Ted Keller (Coast Guard lookout during WWII); Betts Kiesel (Coast Guard lookout during WWII); Melvin Kirchoff (Coast Guard, ?-?); BM1 Jean B. C. DuBios (Coast Guard, 1959-1960); EN1 Richard Kwapiszewski (Coast Guard, 1960); EN2 Francis X. McCarthy (Coast Guard, 1960-1962); BM1 James H. Perry (Coast Guard 1962-1964); EN2 John R. French (Coast Guard, 1964-1967?); Jack Hamel (Coast Guard, c. 1967-1968); Thomas L. Christie (Coast Guard, c. 1968-1970); EM 2 Clifton W. McKenney, Jr. (Coast Guard, 1970-1971); FA Roy Fruschertz (Coast Guard automation crew, c.1971-1972); EM1 John Gustin (Coast Guard automation crew, c.1971-1972)