The first brick lighthouse on Cat Island survived until after the Civil War, when the bricks were used to protect the lighthouse at St. Joseph Island. The 1871 screwpile lighthouse was eventually destroyed after being deactivated in 1937.
This light is not operational
1831: 30-foot conical masonry tower; c. 1871: Screwpile lighthouse.
Date Established: 1831
Date Deactivated: 1937
Optics: 1871: Fifth order Fresnel lens.
Current Use: Destroyed.
Cat Island is privately owned, but it may be visited as long as it is kept clean.
Keepers: Dan McColl (1889-1904)